Progression of Standard within Grade 5 Describe (in general) how units within the same measurement system can be converted (i.e. multiply to find the number of smaller units in a larger unit; divide to find the number of larger units in a smaller unit).
How do you convert units of measurement easily?
Summary: You can convert units easily and accurately with one simple rule: just multiply the old measurement by a carefully chosen form of the number 1. This page explains how to choose, with lots of examples. Is This Really Multiplying by 1? Be Reasonable!
What is measurement conversion for kids?
The term conversion of units refers to changing an amount of a measurement unit into another unit. For example, a conversion factor of (1 day)/(24 hours) equals 1, because 1 day = 24 hours.
How do you teach unit conversion?
- Write the conversion as a fraction (that equals one)
- Multiply it out (leaving all units in the answer)
- Cancel any units that are both top and bottom.
How do you explain conversion measurement?
Measures can be converted. Use the basic conversion rule to solve any problem: from a larger unit to a smaller unit, multiply. From a smaller unit to a larger unit, divide. It’s really that simple!
How do you teach metric measurements?
General principles for teaching the metric system
- Stop teaching (and using) customary units completely.
- Never teach conversion of units from customary to metric or vice-versa.
- Teach measuring in metric by doing measuring in metric.
- Use SI, the International System of Units, also called the modern metric system.